When I was a kid I dreamed of being in the Olympics. I would watch every sport [particularly the downhill events] and wonder what it would be like to train and compete at that level. I never pursued that dream because I thought at that time, dreams were to be had but not really to be realized. I mean, how could that ever come to be for me. But still, I had Olympic spirit...I would cheer and watch intently.
Now that I have children, my Olympic spirit is reborn. We talk a lot with the girls about the Olympics and even let them stay up very late to watch the opening ceremonies. I asked them at one point, which Olympic sport they wanted to do, and Kiyomi quickly said "skiing" and Caleah said "I want to be a snowboard girl!" They have the spirit in them too!
Now that I'm older I know that dreams take work, not just wishing. I will teach this to my girls and provide them whatever possibility I can to help them with their dreams, Olympic or otherwise. In our home, Olympic spirit will burn brightly, and for now I'll enjoy watching the country I love compete in sports I love.
We are going out to B.C. in March for a little vacation which will include a stop in Vancouver and Whistler to take in some Paralymipic events. Hopefully the memories from that trip will be everlasting in their minds and inspirational for their lives. I'm looking forward to a very special time.
GO CANADA GO!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment