So, I'm sure the following experience has happened to many of you out there, but when it does happen it is so sharp and meaningful in the moment, but soon forgotten. This post is to help you remember that feeling and maybe look for opportunities for it to happen to you today, or create it for someone else. It's when we are aware, that this 'it' can get passed on.....and that 'it,' is simply, humanity.
At the grocery store today, Caleah and I were in line at the checkout. A senior gentleman was behind us in line. Caleah was pouting about something and since I was in front of the cart unloading it, he had a direct line to the pouting child. He of course asked what was the matter and told her she wasn't that hard done by. When I entered into the conversation he quickly offered that he had 5 children and knew what it was all about. He was very chatty and sweet. We went through the line and when the cashier was looking after him, I heard him offering a story about the war. He told her how he carried a token in his wallet that was from war times and that the token was what was given out to claim your food rations. What a pleasant old man I thought to myself. He just wants to chat and connect with those around him.
We were still packing up our groceries as he breezed through the checkout. He stopped to talk to Caleah again and then turned to me and gave me a loonie to give to Caleah for a treat. He didn't want to give it to her himself, lest she learn to take money from "strange nuts out there" [his words] I said thank-you and we started out of the store with our two bags. Next thing I know, he takes the two bags from my hand and asked me, "where's your car? You have your hands full." So this nice older gentleman took my bags and walked them to my car and helped me put them in the back. He said good day and off he went. In that moment I was so in love with the idea of connecting with those around me. How simple it was, but it sure made me feel alive and happy.
We all need encounters like that....many more of them than we get. We all need to create encounters like that for others. It'll make us all rich.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jana:
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing that encounter. I agree with your closing sentiment.
It made me think of Dad...
N